The Final Whistle - 17 October 2020

By Maurice Galley

First league win for Willington

Willington WMC picked up their first league win in beating Stanhope 2-1 today. The WMC went ahead in the first half but Stanhope drew level through Ross Clark. The Willington winner five minutes later was somewhat fortuitous when an attempted clearance by the Stanhope keeper rebounded off a defender and looped back into the net. Stanhope pressed for an equaliser but it was Willington who had the better chances late on. And that was that or so we thought. It was the league treasurer who informed us that Willington's winner was an own goal but the league secretary informs the column that Kenny Wilks and Ryan Ward scored the Willington goals - We'll let them sort it out.
Later: The league treasurer has pointed out that the column was so busy celebrating a Stanhope defeat (as if) that he failed to listen to the report. To clarify "the goal was scored when the Stanhope keeper kicked the ball off the Willington players shins".
Darlington Deacon suffered their first defeat in all competitions in losing 3-2 at home to Ferryhill Town. Dave Whitehead, Kyle Quinn and Liam Armstrong scored the goals that take Ferryhill up to second.Danny Longstaff and Dec Brown responded for Deacon.
Heighington had an excellent win in the Auckland Charity Cup when they beat first division opponents Barnard Castle Glaxo Rangers 2-1. Goals from Shane Dodson and David Parker saw Heighington home. Joe Hall bagged the Glaxo consolation.
In the same competition Bishop Pavilion beat Catchgate 8-1 with goals courtesy of Kian Thompson (2), Aiden Lowes (2), Adam Moffat, Daniel Patterson, Andrew Robinson and Bowman. James Jordan reduced the arrears.
Former winners Shildon Railway progressed with a 4-2 victory at Evenwood Town. Stuart Hackett notched a hat trick for the victors with Niall Douglas completing the score sheet. Scott Flowers and Ashley Murphy replied for Evenwood.
Wolsingham’s good start to the season continued with a 5-1 defeat of Langley Moor Station. Dagan Taylor picked up a hat trick for Wolsingham and Connor Ward bagged a brace.Jarrod Rumney reduced the arrears.
Newton Aycliffe Royal Telegraph defeated Crook Wanderers 5-3 in an all second division Norman Wright cup clash. Reed Molloy (2), Mason Steed (2) and Ryan Peart saw Telegraph through to the last eight. Wanderers marksmen Daryl Blair, Adam Blair and Matty Raisebeck.

Where next?

The Frank Hudson Transport Crook & District League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.